Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine light on dash

Andyr55

Guys,

the orange engine light has appeared on my dash again?

this happened 10 months ago and disappeared during journey. 

9100 miles on clock

service due march

can I reset?  Car appears to drive fine. 

suggestions? 

It means there is a fault, not that it needs servicing. You need to get the fault codes read.

• Like 1

Wasn’t on dash last time I used car. Been on drive for two days and now appears? 

reluctant to go to dealer as investigating charges are eye watering 

The car is trying to tell you it has a problem, ignoring it won't fix the issue.

A fault will have been logged even if the light goes back out next time you drive it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

The car is trying to tell you it has a problem, ignoring it won't fix the issue.

You've been lucky so far. Next time when you're broke down on the road side, with steam pouring out of the engine, the garage may inform you the 'gizmo widget' has blown, didn't you see an engine warning light?? 😂

• Like 1

It's the low usage light.  Drive it to recharge the battery and burn off the exhaust and that'll probably save you the £150 Ford diag fee.  Alternatively get Forscan to read the code yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's the low usage light.  Drive it to recharge the battery and burn off the exhaust and that'll probably save you the £150 Ford diag fee.  Alternatively get Forscan to read the code yourself.

The car uses the EML to flag low usage? Normally that light is for something more serious or emissions related. Didn’t realise it had that ability. 

Not saying you are wrong. Just surprised they’re using it for that. 

11 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The car uses the EML to flag low usage? Normally that light is for something more serious or emissions related. Didn’t realise it had that ability. 

Not saying you are wrong. Just surprised they’re using it for that. 

Sorry, that was tongue in cheek.  Not sure where the :wink: smiley went!

I just meant that often the faults seem to be related to low battery charge or emissions faults on cars that do low mileage, and driving probably will clear them.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, ( trust you are well?)

im going on a trip tomorrow (20 miles) I’ll keep the revs up in sports mode and hopefully you are right and the error will disappear 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andyr55 said:

Will this read my error?

You'd be more likely to read the error using Forscan which is a free download on a Windows laptop. You'll need the appropriate cable as discussed here...

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

No laptop!!🫣

Then you will have to pay the £7 fee and buy the mobile phone version of FORScan.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:59 PM, unofix said:

FORScan (for use with Windows Laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

It's what many Ford owners use including some Ford technicians.

vLinker FS, cable for laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

vLinker FD, for android phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H82WC8L

vLinker FD+, for iPhone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

Search Tag:   FORScan123

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Thanks all. Think I’m out of my depth here! 

Takes a big man to admit that. I have a very good relationship 10+ years, with an excellent local independent garage for that exact reason...

• Like 1

Just to update I popped into my local dealer and it’s the O2 sensor. Fortunately I have extended warranty so all free. Booked in. 

• Confused 1

Why were you worried about diagnostics charges if you have an extended warranty? 🫤

• Like 1

At £150 a go and my Trustford charge for everything! 
they will have a coin slot on loos soon😉

I was pleasantly surprised!!

35 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

At £150 a go and my Trustford charge for everything!

If you have a fault, and it needs diagnosed for a repair, why would you get charged when you have an extended warranty?

An emissions fault code on a low usage 1.0 EcoBoost?  No one saw that coming! :wink:

If they're paying for it then go ahead with the sensor swap.  If not, just give it a thrashing and get the exhaust really hot.  May save having to replace the sensor.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club