Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone tried an AGM battery on a mk4?

makois

I have to replace the factory battery on my mk4 1.0 mhev. I know the recommended battery is the yuasa ybx7096 but for very few more I can get a ybx9096 which is AGM. Has anyone tried it and what do you guys think?

The charging system is not designed for AGM.

14 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Supposedly I can change it through forscan but I have no evidence this actually works, that's why I'm asking.

FORScan had a lot of programming options for the the Batteries of the Mk4 Focus but most of them were wrong so FORScan has removed most of the options now, I'm not sure if the AGM option was one of them and has now been removed or not.

As Alex said, the mK4 was not designed for AGM Batteries.

4 hours ago, makois said:

I know the recommended battery is the yuasa ybx7096

There's your answer. Fit the YBX7096 and change the SOC level to 95% and live happily ever after as the story goes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Have you got any in-depth information on this, as looking at both the Varta and Yuasa websites suggest an EFB could be upgraded to AGM?

In addition, the following RAC website also suggests that an upgrade is feasible:

"If you have added any extra features, equipment or appliances to your vehicle which add a greater level of demand to your car battery, we would advise you to consider upgrading to an AGM battery. Similarly, if you usually drive short distances in which your battery is unable to sufficiently recharge such as in an urban environment or your battery is only used seasonally and needs to be recharged, we recommend that you fit an AGM battery to your vehicle for the best results."

https://www.racshop.co.uk/advice/agm-vs-efb-which-battery-do-i-need/

Thanks.

Are you sure the battery actually needs replacing?

I am surprised it hasn't lasted longer than that, or is it the case that you don't do enough mileage to keep it charged up?

There are lots of threads on here that indicate that the batteries need a top up charge every 6 to 8 weeks.

I would stick to the correct type of battery if you do decide to change it. My recommendation is also for a Yuasa battery, and I have had a few from Tayna batteries, good service, with next day delivery.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/ 

1 hour ago, Alan G H said:

and I have had a few from Tayna batteries, good service, with next day delivery.

The OP is not in the UK.

1 hour ago, Alan G H said:

Are you sure the battery actually needs replacing?

I am surprised it hasn't lasted longer than that, or is it the case that you don't do enough mileage to keep it charged up?

There are lots of threads on here that indicate that the batteries need a top up charge every 6 to 8 weeks.

I would stick to the correct type of battery if you do decide to change it. My recommendation is also for a Yuasa battery, and I have had a few from Tayna batteries, good service, with next day delivery.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/ 

It lasted me 4 years with no problems, so I can't complain much. Suddenly I couldn't use the ac and with forscan saw it was the battery. Charged it with a charger but the car is having difficulty to keep the battery charged so I guess changing the battery is the first thing I should try

6 hours ago, Tizer said:

FORScan had a lot of programming options for the the Batteries of the Mk4 Focus but most of them were wrong so FORScan has removed most of the options now, I'm not sure if the AGM option was one of them and has now been removed or not.

As Alex said, the mK4 was not designed for AGM Batteries.

This option is still active in the latest forscan. I have found some people who upgraded their batteries to AGM but none so far has measured if changing the setting made a difference in charging.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club