Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus service

Andyr55

Hi, 

this is a serious question. 

my ford is coming upto 4 year (36000) service although I’ve only done 9200 miles. I was looking at the service schedule and noted that it states brake check with WHEELS OFF. During one previous service and two convenience checks the technician measures the brakes using a gauge through the wheel spokes. Is this acceptable? Should I be insisting the wheels are removed? 
if not necessary that’s fine but thought I would ask the resident experts! 

1 minute ago, Andyr55 said:

Should I be insisting the wheels are removed? 

If you are willing to pay for an extra hours labour (about £120) then the garage will be happy to take the wheels off and inspect the brakes.

Personally I'd not worry, your car has only done 9200 miles

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too bothered about checking the brakes with wheels off.  They can be seen quite well through alloy wheels.  However my concern would be the wheels getting stuck to the hubs and preventing a quick wheel swap at the roadside if you ever got a blowout.  Obviously if you don't have a spare wheel or don't have the ability to change the wheel yourself then it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

The Wheels are supposed to come off at the 4th year service.

As Tom said Wheels can stick to Hubs, I once had a Capri Steel Wheel that was rusted onto the Half Shaft so badly that I had to damage it with a massive Three Legged Puller to get It off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club