Do Not Sell My Personal Information

can anyone identify these noises? Noisy belt / tappets?

ComMand1210

Hi

My Ford Fiest 2003 plate is in need of a bit of TLC. 

Before i take it into a garage, was wondering what the sounds might indicate, 

videos with the culrpit noises https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10ozk-RVud5XsYUPGNlecTBttRvE3PYrJ?usp=sharing

Any Car Whisperers please comment suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

I am by no means an expert so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but could it be the cam/timing belt or the water pump next to it is on its way out? Not sure what the change interval is for this but people usually say between 60-100k miles or after 8-10 years, which ever one comes first.

If you fancy doing a bit of DIY, then you can inspect the belt yourself: 

If not, then you can pay your garage to check it for you.

• Like 1

seems like the right approach, i dont have any experience with cars. Putting it in the Garage would probably be bettter, i just like to have an idea before going in. 

Also the prices these days for labour, tempted to learn how to do some stuff myself.

Would you recommend Haynes manuals as a good starting point?

I would, but I am of a certain age !  

I still have most of mine (11) with some duplicates, clean in the bookcase, greasy in the garage.

(Being facetious, one of my hidden talents, do you have an Oasis CD in the player ?)

i do have Oasis CD, not in the player but in a little case with CDs thats in the glove compartment. I also have Oasis on Vinyl, doesnt play as well in the car tho.

• Like 1

Seriously, have you sussed the noise ?

• 2 weeks later...

no not yet, I'm still researching it as some people on YouTube and the forums have changed the cam belt and the noise remains. I may have simply spilt a bit of oil on the belt. I have not found any reference point video to go from with exactly the same noise yet.

Not done a deep dive into the water pump yet either, but I only seem to notice the noise after the car has warmed up and not usually from cold start in the mornings.

The saga continues.

and it doesn't appear that the noise follows the engine being revved directly, although hard to tell over the engine sound, but throttling isn't making the sound pitch up so not sure how this rules things out. I might just get one of those mechanics stethoscopes to hone in on it a bit better.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club