Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Insurance Woes...Again!

auldreekie

That time of year again searching for decent comprehensive car insurance via online sites and phone calls.

For my wee 2019 fiesta active 1, no modifications and clean licence held since 1968 cheapest was £235, dearest from a well known company £400. 

I'm 73 yrs old never had a driving offence against me, if I was fit enough I'd dump the car and get a pushbike.🥲

Does everyone else here have similar woes on fiesta insurance? 

I don't know if anyone else has had the same, but my insurance rocketed up this year for no apparent reason.

Renewal was in January, no changes to my policy! This was my Quote. 😮 

image-2024-08-03-223445546.png

I used Go compare and found it slightly cheaper, but £400 is still too much! Both are well known insurance companies. Strangely the one I went with I was the previous one I'd switched from. The advantage with Go Compare is they will pay up to £250 of your excess if you have an accident. I don't know if any other comparison sites do that.

I found Aviva to be very reasonable with fiesta car insurance. Always shop around every year but their renewal has been cheapest for a few years now last year was £217 fully comp which was about £100 cheaper than 2nd place insurer.

Don't forget you can often get cashback on a new car insurance policy by going via a cashback website which will help reduce the total cost of the policy for this I use top cashback. 

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/cjay2412

• Like 1

Be very careful using TCB for insurance.  Linking through their site often increases the premium, so you're not really making a saving at the end anyway.

I use TCB for pretty much anything I buy online, but not insurance any more after discovering that.

Doesn't hurt getting 2 different quotes with 2 different email addresses. Personally I've never noticed higher quotes through tcb but getting quotes on different days can double a quote. I aim for 22 days before due date as that looks to get me the best quotes.

Gone mad :taz: One relations insurance was £285 - Same insurance company £1,150 :eek:

They went onto that compare the meerkat and got several quotes, cheapest was £250, but to make the red mist come down even more, his same insurance company [hastings direct] was on the list from that website, it was £260.......Like WTF is going off.

Our insurance was £268.45p last year, this years quote from them....£595....REALLY! We went on that meerkat website too, got it down to £261.64p.

Just legal theft isn't it and nothing is being done.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim H said:

but my insurance rocketed up this year for no apparent reason.

My missus questioned her insurance company about the severe increase....This was their answer:

'''There are more drivers than ever who are now driving with no insurance [i wonder why] so insured drivers are having to foot that bill'''

'''Vehicles are becoming more advanced with some repairs costing thousands, repairing an electric vehicles is also costing thousands, woman on the phone said they are not allowed to just write off an electric vehicle because of costs, they have to be repaired'''

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, auldreekie said:

For my wee 2019 fiesta active 1, no modifications and clean licence held since 1968 cheapest was £235...

£235?? I'd snap their hand off at that before they realise they've made a mistake!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cjay1 said:

Doesn't hurt getting 2 different quotes with 2 different email addresses. Personally I've never noticed higher quotes through tcb but getting quotes on different days can double a quote. I aim for 22 days before due date as that looks to get me the best quotes.

I had to change home insurance last month after a silly renewal price and they were still doing it then.  Problem is, once you go through TCB once, the website 'remembers' that from cookies.  So you have to go direct before going through TCB to get a saved quote at the cheaper price.  Doesn't work the other way around.  Fairly sure it was the same for RAC & AA breakdown last time I checked those as well.

I do agree that dates can make a big difference as well.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Fairly sure it was the same for RAC & AA breakdown last time I checked those as well.

RAC has now turned into a bunch of legal theft. Last time my sons and my car insurance with them was due for renewal the cost went up by 70% so thy were told to shove it.

The same with the Breakdown cover, that also sky rocketed

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, cjay1 said:

I found Aviva to be very reasonable with fiesta car insurance. Always shop around every year but their renewal has been cheapest for a few years now last year was £217 fully comp which was about £100 cheaper than 2nd place insurer.

I just dropped Aviva yesterday, they wanted £256 more than last year, they wanted £925 for my Focus ST.
I put in an online request to cancel, thinking I'd get a call back next week (rather than me paying to be on hold for an hour)
But I got emailed a PDF with No Claims details on it, if they'd rang me and offered last years price I would have taken it.

I'm seeing quotes online for about the same price I paid last year (£660ish),
Strangely Tesco looks reasonable now, that's who I was with on my previous car, but wanted too much for my ST back then so I switched.

24 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

RAC has now turned into a bunch of legal theft. Last time my sons and my car insurance with them was due for renewal the cost went up by 70% so thy were told to shove it.

The same with the Breakdown cover, that also sky rocketed

I threatened to leave AA Breakdown last month, they wanted £225 for just Breakdown & Recovery, been with them 20 years,
Straight away they said they would drop it £96 to £129, about the same as a new member of the RAC.

2 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

I threatened to leave AA Breakdown last month, they wanted £225 for just Breakdown & Recovery, been with them 20 years,
Straight away they said they would drop it £96 to £129, about the same as a new member of the RAC.

I used to go with  rescue my car. Just ran a quote for my mk 8.5  - home & roadside assist + national recovery is £ 13.84 with £40 excess. 

Breakdown cover from £16/Yr - Rescuemycar.com

• Like 2

is that a pay-and-claim service? if it is it is not a fair comparison with the aa or rac.

edit: offering 30% cashback as well. It looks too cheap to be an identical service to the major players.

Edited by cjay1
  • Like 1

Genuine breakdown cover only £25/year (Have called them out on a previous car, quick & responsive, lifted car away to garage and gave me lift home!)

MIS breakdown

They are based in NI but I believe they also cover 'mainland'. Worth an email/call to find out...

EDIT

Just realised they do cover...

MIScover.thumb.jpg.7b25a2a6f763c741aa91c73f22cfac8e.jpg

• Like 1

I used StartRescue for around the same price for couple of years.  Not sure what they're like now though.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I used StartRescue for around the same price for couple of years.  Not sure what they're like now though.

Makes you wonder the brand awareness that AA & RAC have where folk just gravitate towards them thinking there's no alternative...

• Like 1

Tbh I would gladly pay for a big brand if I could trust them.  Unfortunately I had bad experiences with both AA & RAC, which is when I switched to cheaper alternatives.  I don't trust them either, but at least I'm not paying so much for that lack of trust... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

What do the initials RAC mean.

Ripoff And Con

• Haha 3

Just had a check on tesco after reading raiders post, quoted me £350, currently with RAC whose renewal went from £214 up to £250. Up till now staying with RAC.

1 minute ago, eddie eastwood said:

What do the initials RAC mean.

Ripoff And Con

One of my quotes came from NFU, if I posted my meaning I'd get barred fro.m here.

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wowsers.....wish I could get insurance for the kind of amounts some of you good folks are paying. Suspect south London postcode doesn't help tho haha. But I agree that the recent price hikes are scandalous. In 2022 I paid circa £500 ... last year's renewal quote came thru at over £900 😳. This year's is as bad. Have managed to cut that a bit thanks to comparison sites but still...

(& I'm experienced driver, low miles, long-time no claims etc...)

On breakdown cover I can still get Ford Assist free, thanks to being on service plan at local dealer, so hoping this continues  - needing to save where I can lol.

Have you tried increasing annual mileage I've found cheaper quotes from changing mileage from "up to 4000" to "up to 8000". Also fully comp is half the price 3rd party fire and theft for me.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

Have you tried increasing annual mileage I've found cheaper quotes from changing mileage from "up to 4000" to "up to 8000".

Ditto. It seems there's a "sweet spot" somewhere between doing too much mileage = increased risk, and doing so little the insurer thinks you don't get enough practice, so increased risk again.

I've also found having an additional driver makes a difference, even when you're getting on a bit. My wife and I are named drivers on each others policy, but I have experimented with that in the online quotes. Oddly, I found if I removed myself from Mrs B's insurance it went up, whereas when I took her off mine it went down! We both have 40+ years claim free and (amazingly in my case!😀) no convictions, so I couldn't figure that one out.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if 40+ yrs makes a difference, I've been driving since 1968 never had a claim but it seems most insurance companies limit you nowadays to 9yrs. Loyalty counts for nowt either, no wonder there are so many uninsured vehicles on the road now. I blame greedy shareholders.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club