Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Noise Coming From Exhaust Valve

Kags

Hi I have recently bought a Feista ST Mk 8.5.  I have recently noticed a squeaking sound coming from the exhaust valve  when selecting revers, changing gear at low speed (all in sport mode) or changing from normal to sport mode when idle.

We can hear it is exactly when the value opens and shuts.

my question is - can we use WD40 on the value to stop the squeaking.

Thanks for any help and advise

WD40 is a penetrating oil for freeing rusted parts, it's not a lubricant.

@Kags, I have always been able to hear the valve open and close when selecting different drive modes or when I first unlock the car. I can hear the valve toggling when doing some clutch control at a low speed in 1st, but I can't say I have ever heard it once I am moving at a speed any higher than 2nd gear. 
Not sure if it is any different on the Mk8.5, but for the most part I think it is quite normal. I would say though that mine is more of a tinny resonance which I would expect from a moving part inside a thin cylindrical tube like an exhaust, as opposed to the squeak which you describe. 

alexp999

what would you suggest to stope the squeak then.

Thanks

MattGST21

Thanks - so you don't think I should be worried about the sound then.  its more noisy when either selecting reverse gear (especially when in sport mode) and also when changing from normal to sport mode you get the same sound.

Thanks

@Kags without hearing it myself and going off of your description I would say it is completely normal. I can't imagine the exhaust flaps on any car would be completely silent. 

The change from normal to sport mode is definitely expected; it's the primary use for the flaps as it increases airflow.

Skip to 1:15 in this video and you'll probably realise this is the same as yours?

Hopefully this will put your mind at ease! 

Matt

MattGST21

That's the exact sound - thanks for finding this vid to put my mind at ease.  Just got me a tad worried as was making that sound when putting car in reverse gear  (I did initially think it was a clunk in the gear box)

Thanks so much for you help😁

@Kags I think you're all good! :biggrin: New sounds are always scary after picking up a new car!

You're welcome. All the best.

Matt

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club