Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST Gear knob change in 2020 Focus ST

Danny11515

Hi, 

I am looking to change the gear knob in my Focus ST to the ST ford performance gear knob but the question I have is do I need to let my insurance company know? I thought I didn't need to since this is all done through Ford and its not like I am changing it to a aftermarket one also I am sure that this can be put on as an option when the car is being brought from the factory. Some people say I need to delcare it but others are saying it is fine and no need so any experts on this would be awsome. 

As this is a cosmetic change, there's no reason that I can think of, as to why this would affect your insurance. The only way to be sure, and to stay on the right side of the policy, is to simply check in with your insurance provider; by doing that you've nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Yes, it is classed as a modification and should be declared as such to the insurance company.

Would most people declare it in the real world?  Probably not...

• Like 1

Not sure why it should be classed as a modification. It’s an accessory. In the same way as floor mats, phone holders. Etc. 

I guess someone like Admiral might try though. They seem to be the Ryan air of insurers!

If you want to be safe, just ask your insurer. Can’t imagine it would make any difference. Either they won’t care or will just note it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Not sure why it should be classed as a modification. It’s an accessory. In the same way as floor mats, phone holders. Etc.  

Interesting thought.  I would have classed anything fixed as a modification.  Car mats and phone holders are easily removable. 🤔

• Like 1

Crikey, the things folk worry about these days 🤣 Oh, if you have installed one of those tree shaped air fresheners, that should go down on the same form...

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Crikey, the things folk worry about these days...

With all due respect, the change could be interpreted as a refection of, and aligned to, a change to the transmission/gearbox, so making this fact clear [that no change has been made to said] to the insurance provider, could be something to consider.

• Haha 1

If the OP crashes the car due to a poorly fitted replacement gear knob coming off at the wrong moment, the insurers are likely to notice that and not pay out.

I have seen people get insurance cancelled because of painted brake calipers.  I was also stopped myself for 'looking young' when I had a modified car.  Not worth the hassle of undeclared mods during a stop search for young people nowadays. 

If you're old enough for the fuzz not to be interested then it probably won't matter.

I still stand by the fact that a gearknob is a main control of the vehicle though, not comparable to a phone cradle or air freshener.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

... I was also stopped myself for 'looking young' when I had a modified car.  Not worth the hassle of undeclared mods during a stop search for young people nowadays.

Following that logic, I should have declared the fitting of my dedicated hands free Nokia car cradle, which I considered an essential safety device even though legally not required at the time. Oh, I didn't...🤣  Nor my Momo gear knob, nor my Momo steering wheel nor my...

I've said before, we have very different outlooks on risk. I'm a very naughty boy.

nokiacradlecirckled.thumb.jpg.b0c6cd6b0c3b92cc723626577460de38.jpg

• Like 1

You were lucky enough for that to have been many years ago though.  It's not the same now. 

And once again, a phone cradle is not a vehicle control.  A steering wheel absolutely is, and should definitely have been declared.

@Danny11515

Despite some inferred ridicule here, I still encourage you to simply contact your insurance provider, because you can't be too careful.

As an example, this link would suggest that a roof rack would not affect ones insurance, but, on the other hand, this link  suggests otherwise.

Each insurer is different. 

• 1 month later...

Jesus when we got our Fiesta brand new the standard gear knob was upgraded with a brushed alloy/leather type fitted by the dealership, they also fitted factory mudflaps & also swapped the alloys to another type & ditched the standard all blue wheel hub cap centres with the brushed steel effect type & also Ford fitted a larger rear spoiler......Thinking further I've also fitted a K&N air filter to save the planet.

What about car tyres We had Bridgestone's fitted when the car was new, been through Michelins & bugets since and now have Avon's fitted......do we contact the insurers about tyres ?

Holy we're fuwked :eek:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

been through Michelins & bugets since and now have Avon's fitted......do we contact the insurers about tyres ?

You should be fine, I think, but for heavens sake what ever else you change don't change the brand of screen wash with out first getting written consent from your insurers 🤣 🤣

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Thinking further I've also fitted a K&N air filter to save the planet.

I wasn't going to comment any more on this thread...but for the sake of any young drivers reading this, that's definitely classed as an engine modification.  And if it's a cone filter, or has a K&N sticker on the the airbox, will be the first thing any copper sees when they pop the bonnet at a roadside check.  If the car shows up as 'unmodified' on the insurance check, it can be void for something like that and seized immediately.  Luckily for most on here, the coppers are more interested in pulling youngsters. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

And if it's a cone filter, or has a K&N sticker on the the airbox, will be the first thing any copper sees when they pop the bonnet at a roadside check.  

It's a panel filter that's inside the standard airbox, no sticker.

Read this about panel filters........

true most insurance companies like to be informed of an induction kit, as you are effectively changing the entire air intake system of the car and completely removing the standard air box etc, but a K&N panel filter is simply a direct replacement element and will not effect your insurance or any warranty you may ...

Just plead ignorance, it was on the car when you bought it

• Like 1

Ford also change their build spec every 3-6 months, how are you supposed to keep track of what came from factory.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

It's a panel filter that's inside the standard airbox, no sticker.

Read this about panel filters........

true most insurance companies like to be informed of an induction kit, as you are effectively changing the entire air intake system of the car and completely removing the standard air box etc, but a K&N panel filter is simply a direct replacement element and will not effect your insurance or any warranty you may ...

I've had insurers confirm that I did need to declare a performance panel filter in the past.

You will always get different opinions on the internet.  Better to get info like this directly from the company enforcing it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club