Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo non starter

John McCann

Hi any help with this will be greatly appreciated petrol mondeo passes forscan with no faults including self tests new camshaft and crankshaft sensors fitted has fuel pressure in common rail had the ECU cloned now run out of ideas.

How much fuel pressure in the rail?  How many RPM are showing when turning over?

Is the immobiliser being disabled?

Edit - Just noticed it's petrol.  Which one?  Are you getting a spark?  Is there any petrol on the spark plugs after a failed start attempt?

Hi TomsFocus

Fuel rail pressure is 11.6 Mpa rpm is 222 immobiliser is not acivated plugs are dry injectors are getting pulses of 2 volts is this enough?

Is this a 1.6 EcoBoost engine?

Over 200 RPM should be enough to fire the injectors so I don't think it's a crank sensor fault.

116 bar would be low for a diesel rail but that might be about right for an EcoBoost rail.  Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Injector pulses should be 12 volts.  If you're using a multimeter then the pulses may be too quick to get an accurate reading.  Should be done using an oscilloscope really.

• Like 1

Yes it is 1.6 EcoBoost and I was using a multimeter I do not have access to an oscilloscope

6 minutes ago, John McCann said:

I was using a multimeter I do not have access to an oscilloscope

The injector firing pulses are too fast and too short for a multimeter on the DC range to react to. You could make yourself a simple 12V 10W test lamp to test the injector circuit. The lamp will flicker very fast if the firing signal is present.

• Like 3

No pulse detected no error codes either

Are you using Forscan or just a generic OBD2 unit?

Forscan should show desired rail pressure to compare against actual rail pressure to confirm whether that's enough or not.

Struggling to think of any other reason for the injectors not to fire.  Does feel like an immobiliser issue but that should show 'key not found' or similar on the dash if so.

Using Forscan says fuel rail pressure 830kpa and now have DTC P0251 long time waiting for a DTC

• Thanks 1

830 kPa is only 8 bar.  That's nowhere near enough, the injectors won't try to fire on that.

That code is fairly generic unfortunately.  Could be anything on the fuel system.

I would suspect the high pressure pump if it's only making 8 bar while cranking but they're a bit expensive to replace without confirming the fault.

Might have to replace the pump as I do not see another way forward I used a Autel MaxiCOM MK808BT Pro to confirm the fuel rail pressure and it gave an even lower pressure of 6.9 bar while cranking.

FORScan will get you the proper Ford specific DTC's and help diagnose the issue.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:59 PM, unofix said:

FORScan (for use with Windows Laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

It's what many Ford owners use including some Ford technicians.

vLinker FS, cable for laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

vLinker FD, for android phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H82WC8L

vLinker FD+, for iPhone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Bluetooth-vLinker-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B08H8JHWP2

Search Tag:   FORScan123

I was using ForScan but used the maxi live data just to confirm the fuel rail pressure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced pump still not starting but getting good fuel pressure no error codes on forscan then this morning out of the blue it started run for 10 minutes then stopped and back to not starting still no error codes

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club