Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Locking Wheel Nut

Skirkle

Got a problem with a locking wheel nut where the outer ring has came off and the key feels like it has nothing to grip on to. Any suggestions on how I could remove it myself?

Cheers!

IMG_7052.jpeg

The key should have an equivalent 'flower' pattern to fit it.  You can pack some cardboard around the edge if it's slipping off now. 

The outer ring is just for security, to stop thieves hammering an oversized socket onto it.  As it's come off, you could try just hammering an oversized socket over it. 

Or if there is some grip to the socket, put some gentle sideways pressure on it, then tap the back of the bar with a hammer to shock it loose without slipping off.  (Only works with a bar, don't hammer a ratchet)

• Like 1

As tomsfocus said..a 16mm socket and hammer it in..then a breaker bar or wrench with a longer handle..maybe a jack handle pipe..it may ruin the socket but it will come off

Pretty sure that's a McGard wheel locking nut. If you have the key number (engraved on the key), you can easily buy a replacement...

https://mcgard.de/en/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, purchased some of these, worked brilliantly, make sure you have a new stud ready to go back in.

Aussel 5PCS Twist Socket Set, Nut Extractor Socket, Locking Wheel Nut Extractor Remover Tool Set, 17mm 19mm 21mm 22mm Socket : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Don't you just love threads like this that rumble on and on, yet the original poster has never been back once to read any of the replies 🤣

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Don't you just love threads like this that rumble on and on, yet the original poster has never been back once to read any of the replies 🤣

mmm... now if a tree falls in a forest with no witness, does it still make a sound?? 😁

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club