Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Mondeo diesel 180ps coolant and more!

Jonholmzee

Hi everyone. 

My first post for a long time!

Basically I have a few issues on a car I bought cheap from auction. 

I have a 2014 Mondeo Titanium (X pack) 2.0 diesel 180ps estate (manual) 165k miles. This car is giving me nightmares. 

Main issue (today) is: Car has had a timing belt at 164K miles (3 months ago). When I got car delivered from auction (BCA) it was quite difficult to start (took 3/4 button presses) then runs fine. Drove ok initially, pulled well and sounded absolutely fine with no warning lights (no smoke either). Whilst it was running on my driveway I got the warning of 'coolant temp high'. On inspection I noticed it had next to no coolant in the expansion tank (amongst other things!). I topped up the coolant and took it for another drive. Got back and seen that coolant had spilled out of the expansion tank through the cap area an down the drain hole, also seen evidence of coolant near gearbox. Took thermostat off for a look, thinking it may need a new one. All looked ok and I refitted. Topped off coolant again, same thing happened after a short drive. Stay with me please...

Cabin heating working fine and air con is ice cold. 

With no obvious signs of head gasket failure (mayo on oil cap etc) and there was lots of pressure in expansion tank so turned my attention to EGR & cooler. 

Dismantled and all looked ok. No sign of leaks etc and looked in decent order. I decided to change the cooler part (bought from eBAy). Did that and refitted EGR. Cleaned out a load of black gunk from the throttle body and refitted. 

I thought maybe the expansion tank was cracked but all looked ok. Bought a genuine Ford part expansion tank cap. 

Still not convinced on the HG failure, I then bough a gasket test kit. Run test (blue chemical in pipe) no colour change. Hopefully gasket ok. 

I then run the car to try and dispel any air from the coolant system. Almost immediately after engine start from cold, what appears to be steam starts coming from the expansion tank. Left it running for 30 mins whilst watching a lot of air bubbles coming through coolant and out of top hole. 

I put the cap back on and went for a short drive. 

First thing I noticed: No turbo boost and car felt really underpowered. Next thing: Heard squealing noises from engine area (temp showing normal). Pulled over and unscrewed expansion cap. Massive pressure was released and a ton of steam and coolant boiling over. Disconnected thermostat return pipe to expansion tank. Pure steam coming from it and no fluid. 

Let it settle down then drove short distance home (still with no turbo power). 

Run Forescan DTC and got couple of Turbo codes but nothing coolant or temperature related.  

To be honest I amp totally lost with this car now. Borderline going to scrap it. 

PLEASE HELP!!!

5 hours ago, Jonholmzee said:

Borderline going to scrap it.

Sounds like the best option 👍

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that's interested. Found out the main issues with this car. 

Water pump has failed. It's recently had a timing but they cheaped out and didn't do the water pump. Now I've got to fork out for the whole timing belt and pump. 

No boost was a vacuum pipe off. Put back on and boost is back. Easy fix for me. 

Not going to scrap it just yet. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club