Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Safe to just use the jack that came with the car?

Groot

I'm planning on rust repairing a wing which will involve taking off a front wheel.

I don't have a proper jack or any purpose made supports for a car.

I only have the jack that came with my Focus MK1 2005 1.6 LX.

Is it relatively safe and is there anything I can use other than buying a proper jack?

Thanks very much.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I'd like to elaborate on my question:

I will buy either a pair or four axel stands (buying the cheap ones scare me a little, if anyone can recommend ones that didn't cost much then I'd really appreciate it. I like the folding ones but again, not as safe?) so I'm wondering if I still need to buy a trolley jack?

Halfords do one for £32 but since it will be only used to just put the axel stands underneath, is there a good reason to still buy the Halford's one instead of using the tyre jack that came with the car?

Of course, it would be easier to use and more secure while in use but other than? I wonder if the MK1 tyre jack doesn't lift higher enough?

Thanks very much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Groot said:

instead of using the tyre jack

I think you just answered your own question. The jack supplied with the vehicle is intended to be used in an emergency to change a wheel. It is not intended to be used for car maintenance.

Get a trolley jack, and a pair of axle stands, your very life depends on safely lifting and supporting the nearly 2 ton of metal. Use the jack on the chassis to lift the vehicle, do not use the lifting points on the sill (or cill) as they are only suitable for use with the tyre jack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Groot said:

Halfords do one for £32 but since it will be only used to just put the axel stands underneath, is there a good reason to still buy the Halford's one instead of using the tyre jack that came with the car?

I bought a decent set of German made axle stands back in 1979, they have been used numerous times on different cars over 40+ years. Literally, your life will depend on them, don't skimp, and if taken care of, they last a lifetime...

Also, keep an eye out in Lidl, they often do a middle aisle offer on trolley jacks, really good quality for not much money, again, a lifetime tool...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for your help.

I won't be under the car while using a trolley jack but certainly with the axel stands. I also realised that I will probably have the car on block paving bricks so one brick might be taking the whole weight of the car if I was to just use the tyre jack, albeit to put my arm under the car to slide in the axel stands. Now my imagination is running wild 😲 I think I'll get a trolley jack as well 🫡

I've just seen this set from Toolstation. Isn't Hilka a decent brand? The axel stands are folding too, maybe I can get an identical second pair later since they should identical in height.

https://www.toolstation.com/hilka-trolley-jack-kit-in-case/p32337

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, Groot said:

I also realised that I will probably have the car on block paving bricks so one brick might be taking the whole weight of the car if I was to just use the tyre jack

Using any kind of masonry to hold a vehicle up is a terrible idea, especially if you plan to go under the vehicle. Definitely get axel stands.

Wood is much better than masonry, personally I always stack a couple of good solid long lengths of wood under a vehicle alongside the axel stands as a backup.

8 hours ago, Groot said:

I think I'll get a trolley jack as well

Good plan. When picking one, note the minimum and maximum height specs. You'll need to make sure it'll actually fit under your vehicle, reaching the point where you want to lift it by. You can get 'low profile' ones but they tend to be a little more expensive.

Tip: When lifting the vehicle note that the handbrake only works on the rear brakes, so if you lift the back end it's especially important that you chock the (front) wheels. You can buy wheel chocks but personally I just use a pair of bricks.

Note also that when you lift the vehicle, it's perfectly normal for wheels at other corners to lift up a bit and for you to hear a bunch of creaking as things shift. After you've got it onto one axel stand, while getting it onto the other keep an eye on the first in case the vehicle shifts a bit. The very first time I used them the vehicle shifted while getting it onto the second stand and came close to coming right off the first without me noticing.

• Like 1

I find those car jack wich supplied with the car dangerous. One snapped in half while I was changing front tyre on Transit and second one slipped on Combo. 

A handy tip when changing a wheel (if you don't have axle stands) is to temporarily place the removed wheel under the sill while you fit the spare to the car 👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

is to temporarily place the removed wheel under the sill while you fit the spare to the car 👍

Owners of milk floats have been known to use a milk crate 🤣

crate.JPG

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, unofix said:

Owners of milk floats have been known to use a milk crate 🤣

crate.JPG

This milk float owner uses Halfords advanced.  easy foot pedal to get the jack up to sill then long handle to lift. Why make a job difficult. 

17197823827583637422784715310555.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, iantt said:

This milk float owner uses Halfords advanced.  easy foot pedal to get the jack up to sill then long handle to lift.

I guess that would be classed as 'gold top' 😉

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:58 AM, Groot said:

Actually, I'd like to elaborate on my question:

I will buy either a pair or four axel stands (buying the cheap ones scare me a little, if anyone can recommend ones that didn't cost much then I'd really appreciate it. I like the folding ones but again, not as safe?) so I'm wondering if I still need to buy a trolley jack?

Of course, it would be easier to use and more secure while in use but other than? I wonder if the MK1 tyre jack doesn't lift higher enough?

Thanks very much.

Don't know about lately but basic Halfords jacks  weren't brilliant tbh,

Personal opinion mind but a mate and a relation had problems with same,

Bit I suppose axle stands are axle stands even referencing Halfords,

I find their prices extortionate at times,here anyway ( Ireland) 

48 minutes ago, Garrydhu said:

Don't know about lately but basic Halfords jacks  weren't brilliant tbh,

I'm not a fan of generic negativity with a branded item. It has a sole function of raising a vehicle when you pump the hydraulic lever handle. What exactly was wrong with it?

Two of the jacks failed

Years ago yes

But still failed

12 minutes ago, Garrydhu said:

Two of the jacks failed

Years ago yes

But still failed

Must have been a while back, Halfords only opened their 1st Irish store 20 years ago, I know, I was there LOL

Well within 20 years, actually a thread on same on a few forums here about it at the time,I threw mine out ,

As I needed to service my hybrid Honda insight at the time regularly I needed good ones,and a decent jack

As the insight was so close to the ground I needed to jack it wayyyy up to get Under it,

I was in the horrors each time even using chocks,jack and axle stands,

Local guy got squashed many years ago and I'm probably a bit paranoid about safety tbh

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club