Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 fiesta 1.0 eco boost, lumpy idle and down on power

Darrendb

Morning all, looking for some guidance please. 

we bought this fiesta about a month ago in readiness for my lads 17th. I’ve been driving it and it’s been a joy, in hindsight there has been the occasional hesitation on hard acceleration at motorway speeds, but nothing that jumped out as major.

this morning I’ve started it up and it just didn’t sound right, like it’s running on 2. Drove round the corner and deffo down on power, popped the bonnet and the engine is shaking on idle and deffo a lumpy tick over. 

I’ve read loads of threads this morning and seen similar issues that have been something tiny to full engine replacement. 

where can I start on checking things over at home? I was thinking of ordering a cheap code reader and compression tester?

They all have a lumpy tickover tbf.  If it genuinely is running on 2 cylinders I'm surprised there's no warning light?

Cheap code readers are a waste of time & money.  Forscan is what you need, picks up Ford specific codes as well as offering the ability to read live data. 

When was the last service out of interest?  Could be as simple as a dead spark plug...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They all have a lumpy tickover tbf.  If it genuinely is running on 2 cylinders I'm surprised there's no warning light?

Cheap code readers are a waste of time & money.  Forscan is what you need, picks up Ford specific codes as well as offering the ability to read live data. 

When was the last service out of interest?  Could be as simple as a dead spark plug...

It is deffo more than a normal lumpy tickover. Last service was a year ago so it’s due. 

I’ve decided to drop it in to a local garage next week and get them to check it over.

I don’t want to start replacing “cheap” parts only to find out the actual cause is something expensive later. 

thanks for your reply though 

First thing you need to do is download FORScan on to a laptop (It's free). You will also need the diagnostic cable 'vLinker FS'

If it is running lumpy then the car will have DTC's stored even if the EML hasn't yet been turned on. These engines can go from running fine to scrap faster than it can go 0-60 so don't delay checking it. They need an oil change at least once a year with the exact Ford specification oil, do not use any kind of oil flush.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP/ref=asc_df_B0952P4MLP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=534732308385&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9044614450253155834&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006688&hvtargid=pla-1430824679036&psc=1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This isn’t just a lumpy tick over. It’s far more noticeable than last night.. last serviced last year so is due now. Didn’t really want to start buying stuff to replace without n idea of what is going on.

2 hours ago, unofix said:

First thing you need to do is download FORScan on to a laptop (It's free). You will also need the diagnostic cable 'vLinker FS'

If it is running lumpy then the car will have DTC's stored even if the EML hasn't yet been turned on. These engines can go from running fine to scrap faster than it can go 0-60 so don't delay checking it. They need an oil change at least once a year with the exact Ford specification oil, do not use any kind of oil flush.

vLinker FS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP/ref=asc_df_B0952P4MLP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=534732308385&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9044614450253155834&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006688&hvtargid=pla-1430824679036&psc=1

Thanks for that. We won’t be driving it until we know what’s going on. It is definitely lump on tick over and power is definitely down on power. 

annoyingly we were planning an oil/filters change next weekend with new plugs, brake discs/pads etc. 

I’ve decided to drop it in to my local garage as soon as they can fit me in next week but will grab one of those cables regardless, if it turns up in time I might spot something before getting it in. If it’s serious and needs a replacement block I’d rather not waste money just to find that out!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:16 PM, unofix said:

It’s in the garage now, no engine mgmt light, no fault codes logged. Confirmed running like *****.

all cylinders good compression, spark plugs apparently look like *****. He’s replacing them hopefully today, go from there. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club