Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best brand of oil to use on a 1.6 Petrol Ford Focus

Lochlan

After servicing my 09' Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol in December last year, I want to buy new oil for the interim service. I have had a look around and not really seen any major comparisons of different brands in terms of their quality after an oil change.

In my last oil change I used Castrol Magnetic 5w30 A5 which seemed to make the engine a tiny bit smoother, but that might have just been down to the oil being due a change anyway. I have seen Ford Motorcraft 5w30 oil for about a tenner cheaper than the Castrol oil and since it's got Ford's name on it I assume it would be the best for the engine but not having used anything other than Castrol I wouldn't know. Other brands like triple QX and Mobil 1 are about but I don't know their downsides/benefits compared to others.

If anyone has used Castrol and other oils and seen any differences then it would be great if you could post about your experience. I've only serviced the car once since I bought it in April last year (Serviced in February 2021, I serviced it fully in December 2021 since I had done a lot of miles since).

Also, has anyone used brands such as Mannol or even some of the super market brand stuff like Morrisons? (Not that I plan on buying) I might be heavily overthinking this but I want to put quality oil in my car.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:39 PM, unofix said:

The above is NOT for your car, just an example of price

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

I might be heavily overthinking this but I want to put quality oil in my car.

I think you might. Provided you use an oil to Ford's exact specification for your car you will be fine. I think it's WSS-M2C913-C but check your handbook.

I used Castrol, Mobil and Miller's to the Ford spec when I had a Focus, but if you're very happy with the Castrol Magnetec why not stick with it.

• Like 1

I recently saw that B&M sell an RAC branded 5W-30 A5/B5 fully synthetic oil that claims to be made to the right spec. It seems cheap at £19.99 for 4 Litres. 

Does anyone know anything more about who actually makes this oil? I looked at the back of one of the bottles and there was no clear information. Does the bottle shape seem familiar to anyone compared to any other brand?

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/rac-5w-30-a5/b5-fully-synthetic-oil-4l-334751

40 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

It seems cheap at £19.99 for 4 Litres. 

So that's  £5.00 per Litre

Compared to the Castrol Magnatec/Ford oil at £5.50 per Litre

So using 4 litres you make a saving of £2.00 with the RAC oil from B&M. How much oil does it take to do an oil and filter change will the 4 litre container be enough?

I now use Napa oils for all the family's cars.  Mk5 Mondeo tdci, fiesta Mk7 1.25, seat Leon 1.2, Peugeot 108 1.0 , except for the fiesta 1.0 ecoboost( still got a few cans of Castrol magnate spare for the ecoboom) 

It's cheap and oily!! 😂 And a big brand in USA. 

32 minutes ago, unofix said:

So that's  £5.00 per Litre

Compared to the Castrol Magnatec/Ford Oil at £5.50 per Litre

So using 4 litres you make a saving of £2.00 with the RAC oil from B&M. How much oil does it take to do an oil and filter change will the 4 litre container be enough?

I should have made clearer that I wasn't suggesting this stuff as I know nothing about it, and wondered if anyone else did. oil and filter on a 1.6 is 4.1 litres according to the owner's handbook, so 4l is 100ml too little, not allowing for any accidental spillage.

I have just changed the oil in my 1.6 For Halfords 5w-30 Semi-Synthetic as that says on the bottle that it meets the Ford spec. I had a gift card so it cost me nothing. That is £21.29 for 5 litres.

Motor craft oil  made by conoco phillips £35 for oil and filter. Trde price. Can't go wrong ! that's and..

Screenshot_20220220-084522_Google.jpg

In Europe the Motorcraft oil is produced by Castrol

As far as I know Conoco Philips only produces the Motorcraft oil for the American Markets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In fairness a lot of people think oil is oil,  use the correct and best brand of oil you can buy  and your motor will run and last longer. Apart from Genuine , I would highly recommend Valvoline Oil. FE 5w30 for most fords or the FE5w20 for ecoboost. Regardless of spec may cost a few more pounds but worth it.  Bare in mind Valvoline oil was the original motor oil available and used by Hendry Ford in his 999 vehicle and the original Model T.  Good enough for him good enough for me. Cost around 30 quid for  a 5 litre

Motor craft oil is motorcraft oil  its made by conoco phillips. Ford did use gtx magnatec. It was sold as Castrol magnatec not Motorcraft. 

The Ford Formula F engine oil is rebranded to Motorcraft quite some time ago.

7002_15CF54-02.jpg.pagespeed.ce_.Jipoutl

Exactly the same packaging as the previous Ford Formula F oil and the information on the label and data sheet shows that this Motorcraft oil is produced by Castrol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Castrol.thumb.JPG.4fad436f6c799939a78502607d2acec8.JPG

So that's cleared up who does the oil for motorcraft then. Castrol

For reference Castrol oil is used at the factories in Europe on initial fill to. 

Screenshot_20220220-152702.png

56 minutes ago, Rayfocus said:

As I said all sucked up from the same pipe from the ground.

mmm... in the same way that all apples are picked from the tree LOL

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... in the same way that all apples are picked from the tree LOL

You always have to have the last word. 🤣🤣🤣 And a silly one at that🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, iantt said:

You always have to have the last word. 🤣🤣🤣 And a silly one at that🤣🤣

Kind of you to notice. Was also just illustrating that though ALL apples are picked from the tree, not all apples are the same LOL Just as all oil that pops up from the ground, is not exactly the same. Darn, there I go trying to get the last word again 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club