Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6TDCi Injector Fuel Return Flow Test Results...

Stophen

Hi All,

I have just carried out a diesel injector fuel return flow test on my 1.6TDCi and am looking for a little help regarding my results.

Below I have posted a picture of the results which took 6 minutes & 41 seconds to achieve 

1032069868_1.6TDCiInjectorFuelReturnFlowTestResults.thumb.JPG.3056337cd2d64893324fb4fedc650de9.JPG

Injector 1: 85 Injector 2: 75 Injector 3: 80 Injector 4:75

I have also uploaded the test to YouTube to show the flow rate: 

So, what do people think regarding the final levels and rate of drip? Do I need to replace / refurbish any of them and if so does anybody have any recommendations of brands, YouTube instructual videos or places they would trust / have used to have injectors refurbished?

All and any thoughts would be very welcome!

Cheers, Stophen.

I don’t know the answer, but why were you doing this, do you have a specific problem you are trying to solve. The fact that there is no big difference between any of them seems positive

Hi @isetta,

I started looking into my injectors as at my 133,000 miles service Ford suggested they might not be working at their optimum...

The levels are all meant to be within 10% of each other so I think they are just ok, providing they didn’t fill up too quickly..?

Cheers, Stophen.

You need to conduct a proper test. I understand that a proper test is as follows:

2 minutes @ idle  

30 secs @ 3krpm

30 secs @ idle 

30 secs @ 3krpm

30 secs @ idle

30 secs @ 3krpm

30 secs @ idle

max leak-off 30-35 ml 

see how you get on! 

Hi @nicam49,

Thanks for the instructions, I'll give that a go!

Oh, does the engine need to be warm (50 degrees +)?

Cheers,

Stophen.

Unless someone else knows better, I don't think it matters. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @nicam49 (& everyone else),

I've carried out the test you suggested and i've posted the results below, they are not encouraging...

888275713_FordFocusMk21.6TDCiTitanium134000InjectorLeekOffTestResults.thumb.jpeg.b4ffbd3af01df0fac3b6a15b4ac92d5e.jpeg

I should say I carried this test at around 80 degrees as I drove to a car park so not to disturb the neighbours, could this have had a negative impact on the results (I just got to the end of the test before the bottles completely filled up)?

I guess now it is a question of whether to try and refurbish or replace? 

I have found this DIY guide for cleaning, but I'm not sure how effective it would be: https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Injector_Cleaning

I should also mention that I haven't had any fault codes and I'm still getting around 50mpg.

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers, Stophen.

3 hours ago, Stophen said:

I should also mention that I haven't had any fault codes and I'm still getting around 50mpg.

If it ain't broke... :wink: 

That guide is for older style Delphi injectors, there's about a decade more technology in yours lol.  I really wouldn't try to DIY refurb piezo injectors tbh, it's not worth the risk for the small potential MPG gain imo.  Would just replace them with new or pro-refurb if they pack up altogether.

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If it ain't broke... :wink: 

That guide is for older style Delphi injectors, there's about a decade more technology in yours lol.  I really wouldn't try to DIY refurb piezo injectors tbh, it's not worth the risk for the small potential MPG gain imo.  Would just replace them with new or pro-refurb if they pack up altogether.

Thanks @TomsFocus, I've contacted a few refurbishment places and one suggested a different test which was to just let the car idle for 3minutes (not sure whether the engine needs to be warm or not) and see if the injectors go over the maximum 30mls so might try that (far less noisy for the neighbours)!

The car starts first time, every time 🤞, so that's a good sign anyway!

The new Bosch washers came through so i'm hoping that will take car of the fuel leakage.

Cheers, Stophen.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club